Saturday, February 14, 2009

Is Michael Moore keeping too critical of an eye on government?

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of Michael Moore. The most recent film of his I watched was called Slacker Uprising, which was released for free on iTunes and while he presents provocative ideas they usually lack substantiative evidence and more commonly offend people (I myself felt attacked as a young person for being targeted in this film in particular.)

More recently, he made headlines in the New York Times about a new film that is supposedly in the works. This time he's tackling the economic recession, and guess what- there's something the government is keeping from us: a shocking new topic for Mr. Moore.

My bias aside, I did find it interesting though predictable that he'd tackle such a topic at this time. The article quotes his website, he having said, "I am in the middle of shooting my next movie and I am looking for a few brave people who work on Wall Street or in the financial industry to come forward and share with me what they know. Based on those who have already contacted me, I believe there are a number of you who know “the real deal” about the abuses that have been happening. You have information that the American people need to hear." and said that "a few good people have already come forward."

Taking from our study of critical essays and Mark Twain's satire of being overly sentimental- I think it's good that there is someone out there that is keeping a critical, even cynical eye about what's going on., I just think Michael Moore isn't very authentic in doing so, though this really isn't a post just bashing on Moore. If the film does end up happening I'd be delighted to hear what Moore "uncovered" and perhaps do some fact checking on the film myself after seeing it. No details of a release were discussed in the interview, so if it's anything like Slacker Uprising, we might not hear about this film again until the economy has recovered (let's hope).

No comments: